Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Breakfast Bars

I recently was the recipient of the book "Deceptively Delicious" by Jessica Seinfeld. She uses alot of the same kinds of philosophies my friends and myself already use (for instance, "spiking" spaghetti sauce with pureed carrots, spinach, zucchini, etc).

The breakfast bars are a great recipe (though I altered it, like I alter just about every recipe ;) It uses whole oats, butter or smart margarine (I used the Smart Balance), sugar (I used organic sugar and cut the amount), whole fruit no sugar added preserves (I didn't use any with Splenda, just the fruit preserves), and spinach puree.

granola bars

This recipe uses a spinach puree mixed in with the all fruit topping. I used blueberry for half and black raspberry for the other half of the batch. The favorite in our family is the black raspberry.

These deserve and A+ rating! We made a big batch for our road trip and they were gobbled up. It was so good knowing our kids were getting their daily dose of spinach. If you cut the added sugar in the oat part of the bar, it is surprisingly low sugar. In comparison to the store bought bars (we buy the Envirobars--$3.50 for 6 bars) it is very LOW COST.

0 comments:


  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP