Thursday, July 3, 2008

S/M Free: Iron Skillet Supper


Iron Skillet Supper
This is an old childhood favorite of mine. The aroma while cooking takes me back to my old house on Scranton Street :) And what can beat an entire meal in a pan? Veggies, nuts, meat, and whole grains.

Of course, I had to tweak it for our diets today. We used bouillon cubes back then; now we use Organic Broth. My 8 month old has a milk and soy intolerance, so the recipe does not use soy or milk. You can substitute rice noodles for the wheat noodles, but it will likely cook much faster or be mushy.
Here's the recipe:
Iron Skillet Supper

In a large pan, melt 2 tbsp of butter over medium heat.
  • Add 1 cup of Rotini Noodles (we use whole wheat, but you can also use rice noodles for gluten-free) per family member (I used 7 cups so I had leftovers)
  • Brown the noodles in the butter
At the same time (I like to multitask :) :
In a second smaller pan, cook ground beef, turkey or bison (I used bison in the picture) until cooked through (no pink).
Once the noodles are browned, add:
  • 1 cup of Beef Broth per cup of noodles added
  • 1/2 cup diced onion (dried can be substituted)
  • 1/2 cup diced celery
  • 1/2 cup slivered almonds
  • Add salt to taste

Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce the heat so that the liquid is softly boiling. After 15 minutes of boiling, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of broccoli puree (the puree is simply steamed broccoli that has been put in a blender or food processor) and 1/4 cup of almond milk. *Then add 1 tsp of corn starch.

*You can avoid the corn starch if you reduce the amt of beef broth to compensate for the milk and broccoli puree

Stir again and let the mixture boil for 3-4 more minutes, until the noodles are soft and the liquid has thickened. Add the ground beef/turkey/bison to taste (I added the entire lb of meat since I had such a large batch). Stir well and enjoy!


1 comments:

Kathy_in_Colorado July 4, 2008 at 7:09 AM  

Yummy! I like dishes with pasta so I'm always looking for new creative ideas. We'll have to try this. Thanks for sharing!


  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP